Wednesday 18 January 2017

Artists who inspire me

There are a few artists who inspires me, some include Jean Michel Jarre, Gary Numan, The Electric Light Orchestra (all of Jeff Lynne's work), William Orbit, Faithless, Don Felder, Ian Van Dahl, Muse, Daft Punk, to name a few.

I will start by picking a Genre and will say what techniques and inspiration I have got and use in my music, plus links to my track in question.

My roots start with Pop/Rock music, the first band I remember listening to was Clint eastwood by the Gorillaz, the techniques I learnt from that song was how to play melodica which they used. My next major band I was exposed to by my oldest brother was Muse and I learned "Newborn" on piano and I learned the playing technique of broken chords. I was also exposed to greenday, my favourite being Holiday and Good riddance (mainly been the reason I started playing acoustic guitar, especially while singing). I was exposed to a lot of good music by my parents, Dire straits "The Sultans of Swing", Simon and Garfunkel "Mrs Robinson", ELO "Turn to stone" (i rediscovered their music a few months ago and am a huge fan). 

It was around this time I started listening to Black Sabbath and Metallica after finding one of my dads old mix tapes. I was introduced to Led Zepplin and The Doors (which I've sampled a few of Jim Morrison's Vocals, including "Texas Radio"Texas radio Remix by Stuart W (ExeDist)). Friend introduced me to Linkin Park, which I remixed "Numb" as its one of my favourite songs: Numb Remix. Later on I discovered Adele, which again I did a remix of "Rolling in the Deep": Remix in the Deep.

 In late 97 I discovered the Ministry of sound, Cream and other club favourites. I loved Trance with my all time influential song being William Orbit's "Adagio for Strings", my favourite mix being the Ferry Corsten mix, Tiesto made a version but i don't like it that much. Kernkraft "Zombie nation", Lost witness "Happiness Happening" and Snap! vs Plaything "Do you see the Light". in 98 I got my first Korg Electribe and sequencing software for the Amiga A1200 and started making my own Trance and Dance music (way before it was coined as EDM music). I found out a majority of electronic Dance songs used samples, so in 2001 I purchase a 2nd hand Yamaha A3000 and the rest is history.

I loved deep house, Drum and Bass and got into Rave music, "in the hall of the mountain king" being my all time favourite. 

Then my music taste changed to start hunting out 80's music, New wave and new age pop music, like Gary Numans "Are Friends Electric", Flock of seagulls "She ran so far", Europe "The Final Countdown". I started making New wave myself this is an example called "Freedom (That 80's Sound)":Freedom (That 80's Sound) Instrumental

I started also listening to broadway productions like Phantom of the Opera, Blood Brothers, Cats and many more. About this time I wrote a production piece called "Insania" which was used at week long drama/stage production: Insania 2015 Edition 

I have recently got into Electronica and european dance and disco music, from artists like Jean Michel Jarres "Brick England ft Pet Shop Boys", "Electrees ft Hans Zimmer", "Oxygene" and "Here for you ft Gary Numan". I've also rediscovered Giorgio Moroder, "Racer", "Chase", "Machines from Metropolis"and "24 is the new 74. I recently did a remix of "Tom's Dinner" featuring the voice of Britney Spears which is here: Tom's Dinner the Remix

I recently aquired a Akai MPC Studio and may get back into doing Hip Hop and R&B, but I will make more EDM and D&B works, with samples, cuts, recording flips and mainstream music, like some of the examples of my work (above)



No comments:

Post a Comment