Sunday 22 January 2017

New tracks with Vocalists

I've been making new mainstream sounding songs, which I think people would like more than some of my other pieces. I've had a girl called Jane Honsend, come around with decent microphone and did a recording session, in this Blog post I shall explain my process of how I handled these sessions, and how I adapted to learning mixing of vocals.

I started a month ago putting out adverts on Facebook, Newgrounds, for vocalists, and about this time I found a website called "Looperman" which is a Acapella and sound clip website...which I promptly put out a call on there for someone to sing some lyrics I had provided. I had a call from a girl which I had worked with in the past called Jane, she is an excellent singer and we arranged for her to come to my house for a recording session. She came around and she came with a case which had a bunch of professional grade microphones which included SE electronics valve microphone, and a high end Neumann microphone (these mics were much better than my Presonus M7 cheap condenser microphone, and Art valve preamp and DI box combo). We did a song called "Talking without Conversations" which we did within a few takes, I started off by playing the basic tune on the keyboard and get her to sing along with it, but in the end we decided to sit down, create a fifteen minute sequence, which made quite a good backing track. After I had recorded and she had gone home, I recreated all the sequences, recorded in a section of live keyboard playing which I imported into the MPC and set it to loop and then layered the vocals over the top. It's turned into a light EDM track, which sounds more acoustic than my usual pieces. 

A couple of days later I had a message back from a Bryan Tig, which had listened to one of my instrumental songs on Soundcloud and had rapped some bars over it. he sent me a FLAC file of the separate vocals and one layered over the song. I remixed it to bring out the vocals more and create something which could be used on my upcoming album (which is now out!). This is the finished song:


The next song I worked on was a song which my fiance wanted me to remix, which was a song by Led Zeppelin called "Kashmir", I loaded it into the Akai MPC and then made a general like bass line out of the main hook, added layered synths and pads. Then I went on Looperman and picked out a pre made acapella, I then autotuned the vocal to give t much more better dance tone and the final result I was really happy with! Heres the finished song, its EDM, with a Drum and Bass section. Its got a sample from a film called "Dude! wheres my car" which I used on the two drop sections, instead of a silent break and drop. The song still needs a bit of work, as I don't like how the song ends.

The next song is a dance song with me singing on it which has been heavily autotuned and pitch shifted, this is one of my favourite songs of this latest project. Its a light EDM song. 

 This next one is from another person who contacted me back on Looperman, called Steely Vibe, she is extremely popular on there and is extremely busy all the time, so I feel honored to have her sing lyrics for me, this song is mainly a piano electronica song, I hope you like it!

This one is the last person who got back to me, which is called Katrina. She remade a song which she had done before but did it in a different timing for this song. This sounds like a mainstream electro pop song which is mixed with EDM, it stars me playing all sections on keyboard and it is an excellent song and the vocals fit like a glove. 

You can find this one here on soundcloud! Stars Collide This will also be released as a new single, next week!

Honorable mentions: I am not Proud
                                  Feeling Alright
                                  Voodoo you do?



No comments:

Post a Comment