Monday 9 January 2017

Music, my life and what motivates me

Hi everyone, I'm a producer; a producer of music which is my hobby, my art, my passion and my job (when I find work that is).
I started out by playing trombone in the 90's and learning the basics of music notation, then I learned how to play piano in the mid 00's and that opened the world of keyboard based instruments like the accordion and the synthesiser (which I own a few of each). My day goes generally like this, get up, switch the computer on make coffee and boot up my digital audio workspace(DAW); Which is Cubase. I then make a tune or two, have lunch then process and master the pieces I did the day before. I then may have dinner then go to bed. I may occasionally go outside for a walk, but always carry a recorder on me to sample noises and am alway hunting for samples to put in my songs.
I currently don't make music for anybody in particular and I'm a fairly unknown artist. I haven't embarrassed myself to much in social media and have only just got around to setting up accounts on various platforms including Reddit. I hope I get noticed, or find someone that enjoys my output of my day to day activity, but I will say that it doesn't particularly bother me if I don't get noticed. Because I'm mainly after recognition, than fame. I would love a wiki page pointing to my group, but that would in my sense be OTT and I don't know how I would feel about that type of exposure.
At the moment I'm mainly making EDM tracks with the sprinkling of orchestral/neo-classical tracks (which harps back to my youth). I guess my message for anyone reading this is to keep trying and never aim for the top because its not usually possible to get there, well that's the story in my case anyway. I hope I succeed, but not wanting fame and the bull which comes with it (if that was ever the case), might be hard to deal with and I may not like that kind of future. So I may end up strictly as a composer than a artist, as I don't like the stage much and don't want to push myself in that direction.
My group is called "Exe.Dist" which is a name that I created back in 1996, back when I had a dream, and that dream was for fame, but now I am a professional musician I don't think like that and I guess in my case compared to others which are in the music industry, which think that they have to reach fame and reach the top of an never ending mountain to make money.
Yes I've made money from composing my tracks, but I haven't had a sale for over six months and now I'm depressed, I like most producers need exposure so we can buy new toys and gadgets to create new and better audio works, a never ending cycle. I at this point only spend my spare money on software for creating better pieces and going with the general flow of were the EDM industry is heading. I also buy CD's and sample packs, but reserve purchases of actual equipment from funds that I receive from selling compositions and sample packs which I produce. I have a fairly sizable studio to play with, with 90 samplers, a up to date computer and a MPC Studio (which I bought with the last two dozen of sample pack sales).
I've also got a old Tyros workstation keyboard from 01 as I got it dirt cheap and it has a built in vocoder. I have a fairly decent pair of studio monitors and reference speakers and headphones to play my art back on. So I have a workable studio, but I still have a wish list of "outboard" equipment to get which I don't particularly need but it would be nice, hence its a wish list.
I also occasionally go busking with my Melodica or Accordion, I do leave a hat, but don't expect money from people, I play in this respect to make people happy and this is the same with the electronic music which I produce. If I stopped making happy music, I would kind of lose my identity and may end up retraining as a woodworker for the rest of my life, which I don't want as this is my dream and I'm living it.
I like making music for everyone so check out my group name on youtube if your interested, but if not do try and leave a comment and tell me what your dreams were as a kid and if you are furfilling them now.
All the best Stuart

No comments:

Post a Comment